Barlow Community Center Dam Improvements
Project Update November 2021The project design has been finalized and the contract is out to bid. Construction of the project is anticipated in early 2022, weather permitting.
See the project plans for each area of the Barlow Community Center Dams by viewing the story map here.
The estimated project schedule is as follows:
- Tree Clearing – Starts Week of March 8, 2021 (weather permitting)
- Continue Design – February thru May 2021
- Final Review by ODNR, ACOE and other review agencies – Late Spring, 2021
- Bid Project - June, 2021
- Estimated Construction Schedule: Summer, 2021 (four months)
Past Project Updates
Project plans are nearing 60% completion. Since the first public meeting in October 2020, the City’s consultant has continued to develop the project plans including:
Project Update March 2021
- Incorporated public comments, including limiting grading and tree removal limits.
- Development of a proposed landscaping plan
- Development of lower lake dredging plan
- Finished topographical survey data collection including survey of the bottom of the lakes
- Conducted geotechnical soil sampling and analysis
- Finished hydraulic modeling and analysis for the proposed dams and storm water storage.
- Finished wetland assessments and submittal to the Army Corp of Engineers (ACOE) for wetland permitting
- Submittal of preliminary plan to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) for review
Project Update October 2020 Thank you to those residents who have provided input to the project so far. The project design including hydraulic study, preliminary grading plan and wetland/stream evaluation is underway. Concept plans of the project are shown below and includes the following major project elements:
- Lower Lake - New earthen dam and emergency spillway near S. Oviatt Street
- Upper Lake - New emergency spillway between the lakes to be constructed along the south side of upper lake dam near existing trail triangle.
- Upper Lake - Additional storm water storage along southern bank of upper lake only. No grading or tree removal along northern bank of Upper Lake.
- Both Lakes - Upgrades to valving system.
Additional improvements including grading for sled riding and dredging of the lake bottoms are also being analyzed. Comments provided during the first public input sessions, with responses can be reviewed here:
In 2017, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Division of Water Resources, inspected the two (upper and lower) Barlow Community Center Lake Dams and found that both dams require improvements to the dam spillways to meet state requirements. In March, 2019, City of Hudson, in association with the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD) finalized a study titled the “Cuyahoga River South (CRS) Stormwater Master Plan (SWMP) - City of Hudson Community Report”. The purpose of the study was to identify recommend stormwater solutions to major storm water concerns in the Brandywine Creek watershed, including a prioritized list of construction and maintenance projects.
The Stormwater Master Plan study included evaluation of portions of the Brandywine Creek Tributary from Ravenna Street, Barlow Community Center into downtown Hudson. Stormwater solutions in this area included a lake expansion project at the Barlow Community Center’s, Upper Lake. The study identified the potential to permanently increase detention in Barlow Community Center, Upper Lake by 9.5 ac-ft and install additional operational controls able to further temporarily lower the water elevation in the upper lake and lower lakes prior to significant rain events.
In April 2019, a separate feasibility study identified solutions to meet the ODNR dam spillway requirements. The feasibility study identified that a new overflow between the upper lake and lower lake could be constructed to meet the upper dam’s spillway needs. The feasibility study identified that a smaller dam could be constructed near the outlet of the lower lake dam to meet the ODNR spillway requirements
In May 2019, NEORSD agreed to fund the design and construction of the Barlow Community Center Lake Improvements Project. The project will address both the ODNR dam spillway requirements and Stormwater Master Plan recommended storm water storage improvements.
Project ContactShould you have any immediate questions or comments, please contact the City of Hudson Engineering Department.
City of Hudson Engineering Department Phone: 330-342-1770