Safety Town is going virtual this year! Out of an abundance of caution, in-person Safety Town was cancelled for Summer 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We want to keep your kids safe while also teaching them important safety lessons to prepare them for kindergarten and beyond.
How does Virtual Safety Town work?
All the same lessons taught during in-person Safety Town are available in video format on this webpage. Watch the videos with your child at your leisure - once a week, one a day, or if you're really ambitious, all in one day! At the end of each lesson will be a small homework assignment you can complete with your child. Submit your child's homework for each lesson, and when you get through them all, your child will be sent a Certificate of Completion!
Questions? Check out the FAQs at the bottom of this page.
Virtual Safety Town Video Lessons Click on the lesson names below to watch each video lesson, or find the full playlist below.
First Homework Assignment
- Upload a video of your family completing a fire drill at home! Watch the Hudson Headlines episode above for further instructions.
- UPLOAD YOUR VIRTUAL FIRE DRILL HOMEWORK HERE
Lesson 1 Homework
- Street Sign Bingo
- Street Sign Bingo Instructions
- Phone Number and Addresses High Fives from Creekside Learning
- Message to Parents from Officers Jim and Joe - Ready, Set, Dial App - Practice Calling 911
- UPLOAD STREET SIGN BINGO HOMEWORK HERE
Lesson 3 Homework
Lesson 4 Homework
- Read The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers - You can get this book from The Learned Owl or the Hudson Library!
- OR Watch The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers Video
Lesson 4 Resources
Lesson 5 Homework
- Pedestrian Safer Journey - Video
- Bicycle Safer Journey - Video
- Get a license for your bicycle! Register here, and HPD will send you a bicycle registration sticker to place on your bike.
Lesson 6 Homework
Lesson 6 Resources
Lesson 7 Homework
Lesson 8 Homework
- Match the Safety Equipment to the Item
- Parents - Submit a picture of your child wearing their favorite safety gear that keeps them safe!
- UPLOAD MATCHING AND PHOTO HOMEWORK HERE (Parents - you can take a picture of the matching sheet with your phone and upload it, or use Paint or another program to have your child complete it on the computer and submit the file!)
Frequently Asked Questions
When does Virtual Safety Town start?
Virtual Safety Town launched on July 15, 2020.
How do I submit my child's first homework assignment?
Fill out this form and upload your family's Virtual Fire Drill here!
Will my child be able to attend In-Person Safety Town in 2021?
Yes! Virtual Safety Town was created so you would have an option to teach your child what they need to know before entering kindergarten this fall, but they can still choose to attend in-person Safety Town instead in 2021. A sign up will be available through HCER next year.
Will participating in Virtual Safety Town exclude my child from participating in In-Person Safety Town next year?
No, your child can do both! Virtual Safety Town was created as an alternative learning option due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Participating will not exclude your child from in-person Safety Town next year.
To contact Hudson Police Officers Jim and Joe, send an email to SafetyTown@hudson.oh.us. They would be happy to help!