Brought to you by the Ohio History Connection, Ohio Open Doors is a statewide effort where Ohio communities open the doors to historic buildings for special tours and programs. The City of Hudson is pleased to announce that it will participate in Ohio Open Doors on September 18, 2016 from 2:00-4:00 pm. Join us in honoring the history, design and stories of Hudson’s historic churches and houses of worship as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act.
Christ Church Episcopal, 21 Aurora Street; First Congregational Church, 47 Aurora Street; Spiritual Life Center, 1 East Main Street; Temple Beth Shalom, 50 Division Street and The Chapel at Western Reserve Academy, 147 College Street will open their doors to public for tours and presentations on the history of these buildings on a walking tour through Hudson’s historic downtown. This event is free and open to the public. Check-in will be at Hudson Town Hall, 27 East Main Street, on the day of the event to obtain a walking tour map.
“Ohio Open Doors showcases the stories of important landmarks right in our backyard,” says Burt Logan, Executive Director and CEO of the Ohio History Connection. “The 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act is the perfect time to highlight the history and the uniqueness of Ohio’s most treasured places.”
Established in 1966, the National Historic Preservation Act has been instrumental in preserving the historic fabric of our cities and neighborhoods. It has transformed the face of communities from coast to coast, establishing the legal framework and incentives to preserve historic buildings, landscapes and archaeology. The act drives economic revitalization by attracting investment, supporting small business, stabilizing neighborhoods and creating jobs.
For more information about our participation in Ohio Open Doors, visit ohiohistory.org, or call the City of Hudson Community Development Department at 330-342-1790.
Ohio Open Doors
2016 is the 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson on October 15, 1966. To celebrate, Ohio History Connection will inaugurate Ohio Open Doors, to promote and inspire pride in Ohio’s amazing heritage.
Ohio History Connection
On May 24, 2014, the Ohio Historical Society changed its name to the Ohio History Connection. Established in 1885, this nonprofit organization provides a wide array of statewide services and programs related to collecting, preserving and interpreting Ohio’s history, archaeology and natural history through its more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio, including its flagship museum, the Ohio History Center in Columbus. For more information about programs and events, call 800.686.6124 or go online at www.ohiohistory.org.