As part of the City’s clock tower maintenance plan, the clock faces will be refurbished beginning Monday, April 15. The faces of the clock are comprised of a plexiglass type of glass, wood framing, and cast-iron numerals. All these components need repairs and refurbishing as part of the general maintenance schedule.
The work will begin on April 15, and, weather permitting, will be completed the first week of May.
All four clock faces will be worked on both from the interior and exterior using a construction lift. There will be equipment and supplies on site and the area below the tower and around the structure will be cordoned off for both contractor and pedestrian safety.
- The appearance of the clock faces will not change. The cast iron parts, glass, and painted wood framing will look more brilliant in color upon project completion.
- The clock will not be taken out of service during the maintenance process unless there are unforeseen conditions that warrant it.
- The clock bells will be disengaged and out of service for the duration of the project.
- Masonry repairs and tuckpointing will be completed at defined locations.
- Tower Door hinges will be removed and sent for powder coating and reinstalled.
- The project manager and the contractor are experienced and specialize in this type of work.
For additional information or questions concerning the Clock Tower Maintenance Project, please contact the Public Works office at 330-342-1750.