Following is a summary of the Tuesday, May 10, 2022 City Council Workshop. To watch the full meeting, visit www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
Correspondence and Council Comments
- Council asked that a discussion about the Owen Brown Street underpass be added as a discussion item at the next Council Workshop.
- Staff will come back to Council with a Solicitor’s opinion on what will happen to the City’s legislation if the State’s Air BnB legislation passes. Needs to be in place by July 1, 2022.
- Planning Commission passed the expansion of a health care facility on SR 303.
Future Consent Items Discussed
- A Motion to Acknowledge the Timely Receipt of the April 2022 Monthly Financial Report. Council asked staff to investigate and report back to Council regarding the increase in the number of utility bill delinquencies.
- Resolution Accepting a Brownfield Remediation Grant for Cleanup of the YDC Property. Council thanked staff for the quick turnaround on this item.
Future Legislation Items Discussed
- Proposed Ward Map Revisions as a result of the 2020 U.S. Census. Council discussed the two map options (1 and 2) and provided their comments. Council was split with some preferring Option 1 while others preferred Option 2. With Option 1, less people would be impacted by a Ward change and change in their Council representative. Option 2, while more people would be impacted, some members felt this better addressed the distribution of the Wards.
- Resolution Accepting the Tax Incentive Review Council Recommendations to Continue Community Reinvestment Area Agreements and a Job Creation Grant Program Agreement. Council discussed the fact that corporate payroll numbers are not disclosable per the Ohio Revised Code. A Council member, who is concerned that payroll and number of jobs should be disclosed to the public, asked staff to investigate if in future agreements, to have disclosure part of the agreement.
- Resolution to Create a Steering Committee to Update the Comprehensive Plan. To meet the necessary dates, emergency language was added. Council discussed how board/commission members would be selected for the Committee. Council determined that City Council would select the individual but asked for a way that if board members wanted to participate, they could apply.
- Ordinance to Clarify the Process of Introducing Ordinances and Resolutions Placed on Meeting Agendas. Introduced by the Council President. It is intended to require that possible agenda items be discussed by Council before they are put on the agenda by one member. Council decided to explore a simpler legislation that states items must be discussed at a workshop and receive support prior to being placed on the agenda. Exceptions could be carved out for items needed by staff for City operations, etc.
Items for Future Agendas
- Workshop discussion about noise from lawn equipment, etc.
- Poppy Days Proclamation
- Council entered executive session to discuss the sale of public property.