Following is a summary of the March 7, 2023, City Council Meeting. To watch the meeting, visit www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
- Council entered executive session to interview applicants for boards and commissions.
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes of the 2/16/2023, 2/21/2023, and 2/28/2023 council meetings were approved unanimously.
- Resolution thanking Dave Lehman for his service to the community.
- Special Recognition of Sunshine Week March 12-18.
- Special Recognition of March as Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month in Hudson.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Clyde Rardin, 2790 Ravenna Street.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Joyce Kuryla, 1975 & 1983 Norton Road and 1936 - 1940 Georgetown Road.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Vincent Roman, 7005 Walters Road.
Following are individuals who spoke during the Public Comments Section. Click on this link to view the comments made during the meeting: www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
- Students from Eastwoods Intermediate School asked for a snack shop in Hudson parks.
- George Roth, 105 E. Streetsboro Street, commented on a board appointment.
Correspondence and Council Comments
Click on this link to view the Council Comments in their entirety. www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
- Council thanked all those involved with the PTO Pancake Breakfast last weekend.
- Environmental Awareness Committee Update. Committee appointed Chair and Vice Chair and will present the Committee’s goals to Council on March 14. Please save the date of April 22 for the EAC Earth Week celebration.
- Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee Update. Staff presented some target areas in the City that the Committee may want to focus on, which included the former YDC, Downtown Phase 2, and Darrowville, among others. They will have a workshop on March 15 to further identify areas to consider.
- The Ohio Municipal League is asking for cities and Councils to get on board with federal rail safety changes being proposed. Council spoke in favor of supporting these proposed changes.
- Council thanked the community for the number of Veterans who have applied to serve on the Military and Veterans Commission. We have received at least 11 applicants for 5 available positions.
- Tax Incentive Review Council met and will be coming to Council in the next 4 weeks or so with recommendations.
- Yesterday, a Hudson staff member was injured by a car while he was working in a work zone. Council reminded people to put away your phones and distractions and drive slowly and carefully, particularly around work zones.
- Council congratulated Eagle Scouts Aidan M. Keller and Benjamin M. Just on their Eagle Scout Court of Honor ceremony
Report of Manager
- The City Manager encouraged all officials to sign the OML letter in support of the proposed changed to railroad safety.
- The City is reviewing its Emergency Operations Plan and adding information from first responders involved in the East Palestine Train derailment to update the Plan.
- The survey on S 91 sidewalk widening project is open for comments until noon on March 14.
- SR 91 Sidewalk Widening under Norfolk Southern Railway Bridge Update. ODOT, on its own, worked with Norfolk Southern Railway (NSR) to get the railroad to lower the cost requests as a deposit for the project. The original amount of $185,871was reduced to approximately $20,000, lowering the total cost from $370,711 to $204,280. The sidewalk will be widened from 5 feet to 10 feet and the walk is part of the Veterans Way Trail connectivity plan.
- The Council President appointed Councilman Scott Ruffer as liaison to the Cemetery Board and the Personnel Advisory and Appeal Board. Norbert O’Brien was appointed to the PAAB. Passed 6-0, with one abstention. There is one more partial term open for applications until March 21.
Council passed the following Consent Agenda items. Passed 7-0.
- Motion that City Council concurs with the City Manager’s recommendation to appoint Mr. John P. Kolesar as City Solicitor.
- Resolution to approve Then and Now Certificate for purchases made.
- Resolution to apply to the Ohio Department of Public Safety for an EMS Priority One Training and Equipment Grant and accept awarded funding.
- Resolution approving the application for placement of land in a current agricultural use district for Darlyne Roller, 696 Terex Road. Second reading.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Clyde Rardin, 2790 Ravenna Street. First reading
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Joyce Kuryla, 1975 & 1983 Norton Road and 1936 - 1940 Georgetown Road. First reading.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Vincent Roman, 7005 Walters Road. First reading.
- Resolution amending Resolution No. 22-112 to increase the project cost to completed the SR91 Bridge Replacement Project and authorizing the City to serve as the local public agency and authorizing funds. First reading.