HUDSON, OH (May 9, 2023) –Following is a summary of Tuesday night’s City Council Workshop. To watch the meeting, visit Meeting Video.
Correspondence and Council Comments
- The Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee approved the community survey. The survey will be mailed out randomly very soon. On June 7, there will be a Community Workshop at 7 pm at Hudson High School to receive input from the public.
- Council thanked staff annual Road Tour on Saturday. They found it informative and helpful. They also congratulated all the students involved in Lemonade Days.
- Council thank the Hudson Fire Department for their interest in increasing awareness for carbon monoxide detectors and fire/smoke alarms.
- A Council member asked that the special event fee structure be discussed at the May 23rd workshop before legislation is drafted.
- At this week’s meeting, Planning Commission approved a parking lot on SR 91 and Prospect Street at the campus of Western Reserve Academy. They also discussed Planning Commission rules and regulations.
View the Council Comments Section of the video to see the full discussion.
To view the discussion items in their entirety, visit Council Discussion Items.
- Purchase or lease of the Norfolk Southern abandoned railroad right-of-way from West Barlow Road to State Route 303. City Officials met with the Norfolk Southern Railroad on site to inspect the railroad right-of-way and determine the condition of the rail lines. The segment of the railroad from the intersection of W. Barlow Road to State Route 303 is the section they may be willing to transfer to the City. The Railroad may be interested in selling or leasing the right-of-way to the City of Hudson, Ohio. The City Manager will report back to Council in a future workshop after we hear back from the railroad.
- Downtown organization research. Staff researched how peer communities manage their downtown districts. Council decided not to pursue the Downtown Organization Program or the DART. Council asked the Council liaison to the Steering Committee to request that a table be placed at the June 7 Comprehensive Plan Community Workshop.
- Additional lighting on the Clocktower and gazebo greens. Staff will return to Council in the fall of 2023 to determine if the existing Hudson Public Power budget has funds to pay for the lighting on the greens shown in the discussion.
- Village of Peninsula Proposed Water Distribution System Extension and the Hudson Water System Report. Administration updated City Council on the final draft report regarding the study for serving the Village of Peninsula, Ohio with safe drinking water from the Hudson Water System to serve the areas of Peninsula, Ohio as described in the report. The Study was performed by Summit County and reviewed by the City of Hudson. Council permitted the City Manager to negotiate with the County and Peninsula on an agreement for supply the Village with water. The City Manager shall return to Council to review the drafted agreement prior to the draft being submitted to Summit County.
- Ordinance excusing an elected official from attendance at Council Meetings for reasons consistent with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FLMA). Would clarify that members of council would be excused during parental leave consistent with FMLA. The Charter does not define an excused absence as it applies to meetings of Council. Council asked that it be pulled off the agenda for next week. The Council President indicated he will be making a motion at the May 16 Council Meeting to excuse a Council member for 3 regular meetings.
Proposed Consent Agenda Items
- Motion to acknowledge the timely receipt of the April 2023 Monthly financial report.
- Resolution to advertise for bids and enter into a contract for the City Hall awning and canopy project.
- Resolution to enter into contracts for the sale and purchase of real property for the E. Streetsboro Street and Stow Road Sidewalk Project.
- Resolution to enter into a professional services contract with Aecom Technical Services Inc. for the design of the Valley View Road and Hines Hill Road sidewalk improvement project.
- Resolution to bid and enter into a contract for the Darrow Road Park Creek cleaning.
- Resolution to approve Then and Now Certificate for purchases made.
Future Legislation Items
- Resolution accepting the recommendations of the Tax Incentive Review Council to continue Community Reinvestment Area Agreements and a Job Creation Grant Program Agreement with the City of Hudson. Third reading. Council would like language added to the legislation for next week that states which companies’ tax incentive will be terminated.
- Resolution retroactively amending Resolution 22-27 to incorporate recitals and findings for Hudson Community Living. Third reading.
- Ordinance amending Ordinance No. 22-143 making appropriations for the current expenses and other expenditures of the City during the fiscal year ending December 31, 2023 by making additional or amended appropriations related to legal fees. First reading.
- Ordinance amending the City’s pay range structure and pay range assignments schedule adopted by Ordinance No. 22-156 for the volunteer firefighters. First reading.
- Ordinance excusing an elected official from attendance at Council Meetings for those reasons consistent with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FLMA). This item was requested by the Council majority to be removed from the Council Meeting agenda.
Future Items to Add
- Proclamation for Poppy Days – May 2023
- Recognizing Amelia Swan as the 2023 AMP Scholarship winner.
- The Council President requested the City Manager draft an ordinance regarding the 1st Right of Refusal for the extension of waterlines within the Corporate Limits of Hudson. To be drafted by the May 23rd Workshop.