Following is a summary of the September 12, 2023, City Council Workshop. To watch the meeting, visit www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
Correspondence and Council Comments
Click on this link to view the Council Comments in their entirety.
- Council has scheduled a meeting with Senator Sherrod Brown on Friday to advocate for the City of Hudson to receive the full amount of the grant application.
- Council expressed thanks to safety forces in honor of 9/11.
- The Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee is scheduling a second public Open House, tentatively scheduled for November 11.
- Council would like to discuss zoning on Main Street regarding businesses at a future workshop.
- Green Home Certification Program. Members of the Environmental Awareness Committed presented a proposed Green Home Certification program as an additional way to increase awareness of sustainable home improvement resources and cost savings. This would be a voluntary opt-in program. View full discussion.
- Environmental Grants – Inflation Reduction Act. Staff reviewed with Council the environmental grants established within the Inflation Reduction Act. View full discussion.
- Crossing Guard Program. As requested by Council, Chief Tabak discussed the Crossing Guard Program. View full discussion.
- Safe Haven Baby Boxes. At Council’s request, staff researched and provided information to Council about Newborn Safety Incubators, which are devices provided for under the State of Ohio Safe Haven Law and legally permit a mother in crisis to safely, securely, and anonymously surrender their newborn if they are unable to care for the baby. Council directed staff to begin communications about the current safe haven state law and come back to council with additional information on Newborn Safety Incubators. View full discussion.
- Additional Lighting on the Clocktower and Gazebo Greens. Staff presented recommendations for lighting improvements along the sidewalks on the Greens. View full discussion.
- Waterline Extension along Chittenden Road in the Village of Boston Heights. Hudson and the City of Cleveland wish to enter into an agreement to supply a specified portion of Chittenden Road with Hudson water. The property would become a Hudson Water customer. View full discussion.
Proposed Consent Agenda for September 19, 2023
- Motion to acknowledge timely receipt of August 2023 Monthly Financial Report.
- Resolution to advertise for bids and enter into a contract for the City Hall Board Room A/V project. Direction from the Council retreat.
- Resolution to retroactively authorize the application to the Ohio Department of Commerce Cemetery Grant Program and accepting the award.
- Resolution to accept American Rescue Plan Act First Responder Wellness, Recruitment, Retention & Resiliency funding and to provide retention bonuses for eligible members of the Hudson Emergency Medical Services.
- Resolution to enter into a license agreement for a dumpster enclosure on City land behind the Main Street stores. Council expressed concerns about adding more dumpsters and directed staff to move to legislation for three readings for further discussion.
- Resolution to enter into a professional services contract with GAI Consultants for the design of the SR 303 Sidewalk Improvement Project from Hudson Crossing to Nicholson Drive.
- Resolution to increase the project cost to bid and award the Middleton Road Sidewalk Phase 2 Project in the amount of $1,568,016.
- Resolution to advertise for bids and enter into a contract for replacing the retaining wall at Edgeview Drive and SR 91.
- Resolution to apply for Federal Surface Transportation Block Grant Program Funds, Resurfacing Program Funds, and Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside Funding by the Akron Metropolitan Area Transportation Study to construct various projects.
- Resolution to make a joint application with the City of Stow for Federal Surface Transportation Block Grant Program Funds, Resurfacing Program Funds, and Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside Funding by the Akron Metropolitan Area Transportation Study for the Norton Road Reconstruction Project and Veterans Trail Rails to Trail Project.
- Resolution to enter into an agreement with the City of Cleveland for an extension of a waterline along Chittenden Road in the Village of Boston Heights.
- Ordinance amending Title Four-Utilities, Chapter 1040 “Water Wells Prohibited Where Municipal Water Service Available: Exceptions.” Second reading.
- Ordinance amending the Job Creation Grant Program. First reading.
- Ordinance for the issue and sale of $740,000 of taxable economic development nontax revenue bond anticipation notes, for the purpose of paying costs of acquiring approximately 4 acres of real property near the southwest corner of Owen Brown Street and Morse Road. First reading.
- Ordinance to issue and sell $925,000 of taxable economic development not tax revenue bond anticipation notes for paying costs of acquiring approximately 1 acre of real property located at 94 Owen Brown Street for sale or lease for private redevelopment. First reading.
- Ordinance to issue and sell $1,400,000 of notes for the costs of constructing, furnishing, and equipping a new clubhouse at Ellsworth Meadows Golf Club. First reading.
- Ordinance to issue and sell $7,500,000 of notes to pay the costs of improving City-owned property at 5810 Hudson Drive the constructing, furnishing, equipping, and improving a new salt storage facility and new bus maintenance facility. First reading.
- Ordinance to issue and sell $1,900,000 of notes to pay costs of acquiring real property on Hudson Drive to provide a public works facility. First reading.
- Ordinance to issue and sell $1,750,000 of notes to pay costs of improving the City’s recreational facilities by installing and improving a multipurpose trail along Boston Mills Road between Timberline Trail and Lake Forest Drive. First reading.
- Ordinance to issue and sell $1,000,000 of notes to pay costs of improving the City’s recreational facilities by installing and improving a multipurpose trail along Valley View Road between SR 91 and Hunting Hollow Drive and continuing on Hunting Hollow to Prospect Road. First reading.
Items to be Added to Future Agendas
- Proclamation: Constitution Week – September 17-23, 2023.
- Zoning for offices on Main Street for future Workshop.